Apply now for the Emerging Leaders Programme
The Property Council New Zealand Emerging Leaders Programme (ELP) kicked off in 2019 as an exclusive opportunity to those who are employed by Property Council member companies. In 2020, we will match 15 mentoring pairs to share knowledge and extend networks with the aim of developing future leaders in the property industry. Mentees will be young professionals with 3-8 years industry experience, while mentors will be industry leaders with a minimum of 12 years’ experience (this may not necessarily be the CEO or top-level management, but is open to those with sufficient experience and enthusiasm to volunteer their time).
To support the programme, we have contracted the New Zealand Coaching and Mentoring Centre to provide expert training for our group of mentees and mentors and developed a schedule of touch points throughout the year to ensure all participants are getting maximum value out of the programme. Long-term, we envisage this programme growing to be a respected and sought-after mentorship exchange.
Our aim is to enable mentors with strong leadership, management and diverse industry experience to pass on their knowledge to those at the beginning of their property career. Mentees will have the opportunity to develop new skills and enhance career development, while mentors will cement their position as property experts and industry leaders, gain fresh perspectives from emerging talent and access greater diversity of thought by staying in touch with issues relevant to industry growth.
"The training day was fantastic; it was great to meet the other mentors and mentees. Although I have been involved in mentoring programmes before, I have never had any training to be a mentor, so it was great to get some development in this space.”
Rebecca MacDonald, 2019 Mentor
“I’ve always been quite fond of the saying “women can’t be what they don’t see”. However, I didn’t realise how much of an impact it has until I experienced it first-hand. Reflective of the projects I’d been working on in my short career, I hadn’t yet been exposed to many female project managers in the industry, which resulted in deficits in evaluating and benchmarking myself within the same professional context to some of my colleagues. I didn’t realise how much of a void this was until I was paired with my mentor.”
Gracen Luka, 2019 Mentee
The 2020 intake of mentors and mentees opens in March, with applications open to all employees of Property Council member companies throughout New Zealand.
|March||Mentor and mentee applications open|
|16 April||Applications close|
|Late May||Mentors and mentees confirmed and announced|
|June||Training day and programme launch|
|June 2021||Programme ends|
How to apply
- Read more about the programme and its Code of Conduct
- Complete an application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 April 2020
Note: Mentees must also provide their current CV.
- All applicants will be advised whether they have a place on the programme in late May.
Notes for applicants
Please note that an application for the Property Council Emerging Leaders Programme is not a guarantee of a placement. Once the initial application has been received, Property Council will contact you regarding the next phase of the process.
- The programme is priced at $395 + GST for mentees. This fee is only charged upon successful application.
- There is no charge to mentors to participate in the programme as they are generously giving up their time.
- Being accepted in the programme is a great achievement, but with this comes an expectation of time commitment and responsibility to the programme. The minimum time requirement is one hour per month, ideally with a face to face meeting. Both mentees and mentors need to commit to the programme and be comfortable communicating with each other.
- Further to the monthly time commitment, the programme also requires compulsory attendance to a day of mentor and mentee training in Auckland on Friday 26 June facilitated by the New Zealand Coaching and Mentoring Centre. This also offers the opportunity for mentoring pairs to meet in person for the first time over lunch.The costs of attending this training will not be covered by the programme and will be the responsibility of the attendee.
- As this is a new initiative you will receive touch point communications from Property Council throughout the course of the mentoring programme, to gauge how your mentoring relationship is progressing, the levels of satisfaction from both parties and how we can build on its existing format for future participants.
2019 Mentoring Pairs
The Emerging Leaders Panel were overwhelmed by the interest in the programme and the standard of applicants, with over 100 applications received from across New Zealand.
Pairs were matched based on their location and specific interests; for example, an architecture graduate wanting to learn more about property development was then matched with a developer in their city rather than an architect as it was acknowedged that they would be likely to get more value out of training that was not available within their workplace or discipline.
"Often a mismatch of expertise or location meant that we were unable to match some very worthy applicants, a dilemma we hope to rectify in future years as we are able to expand the programme" says Property Council's membership manager Harry Wright.
Mentoring pairs for 2019 are:
Senior Manager Design & Construction
Air New Zealand
GM Retail - Commercial Bay
Director - Wellington
Senior Manager Property Services
NZ Transport Agency
Minter Ellison Rudd Watts
Those applicants who were unable to be matched this year are invited to apply again next year, when Property Council hopes to expand the pool of mentors and mentees and make the programme more widely available.
Congratulations to all of our 2019 mentors and mentees.
The Emerging Leaders Programme would not be possible without the support of our industry partner, JLL, who not only help fund the programme, but have come on board as a true partner, sharing their expertise and industry knowledge.
For all queries please contact:
T 09 373 3546