On 23 May 2023, Property Council submitted to Let’s Get Wellington Moving on the Golden Mile: Traffic Resolutions consultation.
Why this matters to our members
The Golden Mile is the main retail and commercial strip in Wellington’s CBD, and it is important that any proposed changes benefit all that use it.
The Golden Mile is a key inner-city project that will fundamentally change traffic flow and place greater pressure on congestion elsewhere in the city. At a high level, we recommended that the Let’s Get Wellington Moving team refocus on the transformative project of Let’s Get Wellington Moving as this would see mass rapid transport and encourage urban density within Wellington city.
We made the following specific recommendations to Let’s Get Wellington Moving:
- Amend Traffic Resolution 28-23 to allow for service vehicles to access the Golden Mile without having to complete a bureaucratic application process for approval from Wellington City Council each time they wish to enter the Golden Mile; and
- Allow for service vehicles to access the Golden Mile without an application process, and review with the industry six months into the project.
If Traffic Resolution 28-23 remains unchanged for authorisations, we recommended that Let’s Get Wellington Moving amend the process to:
- Allow for emergency situations (service vehicles to access Golden Mile without Authorisation if there is a risk to health or safety, e.g. a person is stuck in a lift);
- Allow for a one-day turn-around for authorisations; and
- Allow for authorisations to occur once per vehicle for a 12-month period (rather than on a per-job basis).