Property Council Submission on the Draft Spatial Plan for Wellington City
Property Council New Zealand’s Wellington Branch recommends that Wellington City Council agree to the draft Spatial Plan. We support the intensification of the central city, inner and outer suburbs while also supporting greenfield developments.
To ensure the city growth, we also recommend the Council consider the following when developing its District and Long-Term Plans:
- Work with central government, Greater Wellington Regional Council and other Councils within the Wellington Region to fully integrate the Spatial Plan into a Future Development Strategy.
- Provide increased investment in infrastructure especially three waters and transport to help accommodate the intensification of Wellington.
- Work with central government to ensure there is capacity for shops, schools and health services to promote investment in the growth of suburban centres.
- Create an Urban Design Panel which is empowered to provide independent design reviews of significant private and public projects across Wellington.
- Work with central government, the property sector and insurers to find solutions to the rising cost of insurance.
- Consider the risk profile of buildings when defining character areas and listing heritage protection.
- Utilise the new powers under the Infrastructure Funding and Financing Act 2020 to help fund the required infrastructure in greenfield developments.