It is with great pleasure we announce this year’s winner of the Greenstone Group Education Property Award; University of Otago/Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo Faculty of Dentistry, Dunedin.
This 7.5-year project created a new home for the New Zealand’s national centre of dentistry – the University of Otago Faculty of Dentistry. Its central city dental teaching hospital and research institute attracts about 3000 people daily. Digitally integrated, state-of-the-art facilities in a refurbished heritage building and a new dental teaching hospital, with a linking atrium at its heart, will meet needs for 50 years.
This highly complex, staged redevelopment is a major investment in Otago, a commitment to excellence in dental education and research, and a pledge to keep providing attractively priced dental treatment that recognises patients’ vital role in teaching students.
Owner / Developer: University of Otago/Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo
Construction: Leighs Cockram Joint Venture
Architects: Jasmax, Brewster Hjorth Architects, Parker Warburton Group Architects
Service & Mechanical Engineer: Aurecon
Structural Engineer: Beca
Quantity Surveyor: Chas E George & Sons Ltd
Project Manager: Aurecon Advisory
Heritage Consultant: Salmond Reed Architects
Façade Engineer: Mott MacDonald
Other winners in this category
- Diocesan School for Girls Performing Arts Centre, submitted by MPM Projects Ltd
- Manukau Institute of Technology – TechPark Campus, submitted by Haydn & Rollett, Manukau Institute of Technology
- New Shoots Children’s Centre Kerikeri, submitted by Collingridge and Smith Architects (UK) Ltd
- Te Raekura Redcliffs School, submitted by The Building Intelligence Group
- The University of Auckland Park West, submitted by University of Auckland
- Eccles Building, submitted by University of Otago / Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo
- Giraffe Early Learning Centre, submitted by Collingridge and Smith Architects (UK)
- Stonefields School, submitted by Greenstone Group